Friday, October 2, 2015

Quarter 1 Reflections

During the first quarter I have better informed and added more to my knowledge of US history. I have learned about slavery before but not all of it, and I now know why. We always hear about how bad slavery was but never really got the idea of it. Watching movies in class about the Civil War and Slavery helped me truly understand how bad of a time period that was. In 12 Years a Slave, the story of Solomon Northup almost made me feel like I was living through that part of history. Learning about the West and doing the reading questions also helped me retain the history of the West.

            The in class essay on the two films we watched challenged my skills of paraphrasing. When I first heard and learned how to properly paraphrase I thought that it would be so difficult but it turns out that it wasn’t. I realized I just had to say where I got the information from and what the source of the information said. We also talked about how empathy is a factor in how history was made.  Empathy and the understanding of a situation changes how people act and can seem silly now that we look back on the history of certain times.

No comments:

Post a Comment